Monday, April 2, 2012

World War II Veterans

I've had the honor of meeting several World War II vets in my life.  Many of them were from my family.  My father was in the Army during World War II and was stationed in the Philippines and then sent to Japan.  In my third book, The Library Kids Cry of the Banshee, I cover some of his experiences during training and active duty.  The following are a couple of pictures from his time during World War II.







I've also done some research on the Women's Air Service Pilots of World War II.  They were having a reunion at Piper Memorial Airport in Lock Haven, Pennsylvania (around 1995).  I went out and interviewed them and watched them climb into old planes to fly them once again.









Lastly, I was lucky enough to meet two Pearl Harbor survivors in Hawaii,  when I visited the Pearl Harbor Memorial last year.  They were very nice men and still full of a lot of spunk.





On the left is Sterling Cale and on the right is Al Rodgrigues


Arizona Memorial and Battleship Missouri


One thing I can say is thank you to them, once again.  The generation of people from World War II were very tough, independent and tenacious people.


By Rita Jean Moran (www.thelibrarykids.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment