Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Native American Mounds in Galena, Illinois

After visiting the historic town of Galena, I went out looking for the Native American Mounds.  After driving through rolling hills, I found them.  It began to rain after I was able to visit a couple of the mounds.  It was a very beautiful place.  I had heard there was a bird effigy at the end of the trail, but was unable to find it since the rain had picked up.  Here is what curvy Galena roads look like as well as the mounds I visited:






I also visited the mighty Mississippi.  The Natives surely traveled up and down this river as we do today.




In addition to the historical town of Galena, a tribute to Ulysses S. Grant is available to visit.





The following website lists some things to see in Galena as well:

http://www.queenanneguesthouse.com/article.php?table=article&mode=search&type=news&archived=false&article=69


By Rita Jean Moran (www.thelibrarykids.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment