Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Hope I Can Visit Arkansas, Someday!

I really hope to visit many more places in my lifetime.  I hope to visit Ireland, Egypt, Peru, Italy and Greece someday.  But in the United States, believe it or not, I want to visit Arkansas.  There are many historical places and national parks in Arkansas.  But most of all, I want to go looking for real diamonds.  That's right, real diamonds.  There's a place called  Crater of Diamonds State Park where you pay a small fee and can look for diamonds and keep them.


http://www.arkansas.com/things-to-do/diamond-hunting/

http://www.craterofdiamondsstatepark.com/


There is a 37 1/2-acre plowed field that is the eroded surface of an ancient volcanic crater.  There you can look for diamonds and keep what you find.  Over 75,000 diamonds have been unearthed since 1906.  Some very large carat diamonds have been found including the  4.25-carat "Kahn Canary" diamond found in 1977 and worn by Hillary Clinton during the presidential inaugural ball and other occasions.

Hope I get to Arkansas someday and find a diamond.  Maybe I'll see you there!


By Rita Jean Moran (www.thelibrarykids.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment